Monday, February 10, 2014

White Truffle Red Velvet Cupcakes

I was home over the weekend so naturally I Facebook spammed my mother and told her that I needed to bake something or I'd lose my mind. Luckily I have an amazing mother, and she bought me ingredients to bake (not before telling me that I have issues, of course).

Of course I easily could've made something simple for everyone to enjoy, but does that sound like me? Of course not. I knew I wanted red velvet because it seemed very fitting for the holiday, but I figured Lindt white chocolate truffles would complement the cupcakes excellently (and yeah. they did. I'm a genius, I know). I also decided to melt some chocolate chips and draw with chocolate to top the cupcakes. Most of what I decorated was sweet typical cliche stuff.

By most, I definitely do not mean all. We shouldn't let me decorate with chocolate after I've worked all day and it's after my bed time. I get inappropriate. 

What would Valentine's Day be without a reference to genitalia?! I don't want anything to do with that kind of Valentine's Day because I act like a twelve year old boy and I think body parts are hilarious. Really, you should find a more mature blogger to read. I think that's a good idea. P.S. Gabe thought that "vagina" said "neglect." I guess my chocolate writing needs some work.


Okay. Enough nonsense! On to the actual recipe!

White Truffle Red Velvet Cupcakes
Yields twelve regular sized cupcakes

What you'll need:

  • 4 tablespoons butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar 
  • 1 egg
  • 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3 tablespoons red food coloring
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 1 cup & 2 tablespoons flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
  • 12 white chocolate truffles (I used Lindt), unwrapped
-Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line cupcake pan with liners.
-Cream butter and sugars together on medium until light and fluffy, then beat in the egg. 
-In a separate bowl, mix together the cocoa powder, vanilla, and food coloring to make a paste. Add this paste to the butter/sugar/egg mixture and beat until the color is fully incorporated.
- Add half the buttermilk, mix, then add half the flour and mix until incorporated. Repeat. 
- Add baking soda and vinegar and beat. 
-Fill each liner with 1/4 cup batter and drop a truffle in the center. Bake for 15-20 minutes, and let cool before frosting. Use whatever frosting you'd like. Since I don't have fridge space in my dorm, I used buttercream and that recipe can be found here.

 I think this cupcake adventure went pretty well. My taste tester, Cooper agrees. 

Teehee. Vagina.

No comments:

Post a Comment