Sunday, September 18, 2011

Rainbow Cupcakes with Buttercream Frosting

Need I say more? I mean... Really?




This is my dessert for tonight, after Gabe's famous Alfredo that brings all the boys to the yard. If you don't know the song "Milkshake" by Kelis, consider yourself lucky. I do however feel the need to enlighten you with this song, so please: click here.  Anyways, when I get bored, only one thing comes to mind- cupcakes.  So I decided I would attempt rainbow cupcakes. Unfortunately I didn't have any red food coloring on hand from my previous red velvet expeditions, so green, yellow, blue, and a teal color had to do. These are of course topped with a to-die-for buttercream frosting that could be the reason I end up losing a foot to diabetes. But I don't care. At least that foot will be lost as a happy, well-fed foot. On to the recipe, shall we?!

For the cake:

What you'll need:

  • 1 cup butter
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
  • 3 cups flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 2/3 cup milk

-Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line pan with 24 cupcake liners
-Cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer until creamy (about 3 minutes). Add vanilla and eggs and beat until combined.
-In a separate bowl, combine together dry ingredients. Add half ingredients and mix until combined. Add milk, mix, then add remaining half of dry ingredients and mix.
-Pour batter into four separate bowls. Add desired amount and colors of food coloring to each bowl.


-Layer different colors of batter in cupcake liners. Bake for18-21 minutes and cool before frosting.



They look pretty cool, right?
Now for the frosting!

What you'll need
  • 4 sticks of butter (I told you, this will be the reason I lose a foot to diabetes. It's best to just not think about it.)
  • 5 cups powdered sugar
  • 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
  • 2-4 tablespoons milk, if needed
-Cream butter. Slowly add in powdered sugar and mix well. Then add vanilla and milk one teaspoon at a time if needed. If the frosting becomes too liquidy, add more powdered sugar.



I had to do a cupcake photo shoot. So I apologize...






As always, enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment