blog that could become my new favorite, Sally's Baking Addiction. That girl speaks to my own baking addiction, and my cravings. Today Sally taught me how to make boxed cake into something special and amazing. She may have given me a new excuse to be lazy and never make cupcakes from scratch again. These tasted just as good, if not better.
What you'll need (for the cake):
- 1 box Devil's Food Cake Mix (I used Duncan Hines, because it's what I saw on her blog)
- 1 small box of instant chocolate fudge pudding mix
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line cupcake tin with liners (I ended up only making about 20 cupcakes, but you can always shoot for the full 24)!
- Using a mixer, mix together cake mix, pudding mix, oil, eggs, milk, and sour cream until well combined.
- Scoop batter into cupcake liners. I typically use 1/4 of a cup to scoop to make them as even as possible, even though it doesn't always work out.
-Bake 20-25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Let cool then top with frosting and pretzels.
What you'll need (for frosting)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2-3 cups powdered sugar
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter.
- Once melted, add sugar and cream and constantly mix until dissolved.
- Add salt then let bubble for about another minute, then remove from heat and let mixture cool.
- If desired, remove some of the caramel and set aside to top cupcakes with later.
- Slowly beat in powdered sugar one cup at a time, until desired consistency is reached. Top cupcakes with frosting. WARNING: The frosting hardens rather quickly, so if you do decide to pipe it get to work fast! I made that mistake. Most of them turned out pretty in the end.