So... Here's the recipe:
- 3/4 cup butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring (we only used one and they turned out just fine, but I suppose two would give a deeper color.)
- 2 tablespoons rasperry liqueur or milk (we omitted this too, and they were still delicious!)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vinegar
- Allow butter and eggs to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line cupcake tin with liners.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together flour, cocoa powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a very large mixing bowl, beat butter with eletric mixer on high for about thirty seconds. Gradually add in sugar, about a fourth of a cup at a time. Beat until combined. A lot of the sugar will get stuck on the side of the bowl, so don't forget to scrape that down! Continue beating until light and fluffy then add eggs, beating after each addition. Beat in vanilla, liqueur, and food coloring. Alternately add in the flour mixture and buttermilk, beating only until combined after each addition.
- In a small bowl, combine baking soda and vinegar. Fold into the batter
- Spread mixture evenly into cupcake tins so they're 3/4 of the way full. Bake for twenty minutes.
They ended up looking like that when we pulled them out of the oven.
On to the frosting, my favorite!
Cream Cheese Frosting recipe:
- 8 oz. package of cream cheese
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 5 1/2 - 6 cups powdered sugar
- Allow cream cheese and butter to stand at room temperature for thirty minutes. In a large mixing bowl beat butter, cream cheese, and vanilla until light and fluffy. Slowly add in powdered sugar until spreading consistency is reached. We decided that it was a little sweet so we added about 1/2 teaspoon salt to the frosting.
- Spread on to cupcakes and top with rasperries if desired. Enjoy!