Saturday, January 19, 2013

Yellow Chocolate Chip Cupcakes with Buttercream

Today was a cold and dreary winter day in Minnesota. I am so done with winter. It was cute when it was snowy and in the 20s around Christmas but this whole below zero thing has got to go. All in all, I needed an escape from this wintery dungeon, and what better way to liven things up than with cupcakes?!
Beautiful, spring inspired cupcakes! I got the recipe and the ideas from the two cupcake books I got for Christmas. Believe it or not, I got a lot of baking affiliated things for Christmas and I hadn't really tested them out until now. 
Easy yellow cupcakes
(Makes 24)
What you'll need:
  • 2 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 cup sour cream
To make:
- Preheat to 350 degrees
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together the egg, egg yolks and sugar together for a few minutes until thickened.
- On low speed mix in the oil and vanilla until blended.
-Mix in sour cream until no white streaks are visible.
-Mix in flour mixture until incorporated, then add fruit or chocolate if desired. I added a 1/2 cup chocolate chips.
-Bake for about 20-25 minutes.

I love these cupcake so much that I had to take a cupcake break in the middle of writing this post. I do have a problem...

I did try a slightly different buttercream recipe this time around, and it was pretty tasty, but  not too much different from the one I typically use.

What you'll need:
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 3-4 cups powdered sugar, sifted 
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • up to 4 tablespoons heavy cream.
-Beat butter with mixer for a few minutes until fluffy.
-Add 3 cups of  powdered sugar until incorporated.
-Mix in salt, vanilla extract, and two tablespoons cream.
-If needed, add in remaining cup of powdered sugar.
-Dye if desired, then spread on cupcakes.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment