Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Apple Pie

I've officially become the queen of procrastination. I'm about to post a bunch of recipes from Thanksgiving that I just haven't gotten around to blogging about because I'd rather spend my time lounging in sweat pants, watching Netflix, and pretending that I don't have some sort of work to do. Take this as an apology though, will you?

I'd never made apple pie before, but my step mom, Jeannie requested it for Thanksgiving. So I tried it out. Did I succeed?

What you'll need:

  • 2 pre-made pie crusts (I just used store-bought. I had a lot of pies to make that day)
  • 3 lbs. apples (I used Granny Smith)
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 6 tablespoons butter
  • 1 tablespoon flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • pinch of ground cloves
  • pinch of nutmeg
-Peel, core, and cut the apples into decent sized chunks and toss them in a bowl with the lemon juice and sugar. Set aside
-In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Add the apple mixture and cook until apples are tender but still hold their shape (this should take about 6-8 minutes).
-Sprinkle with the flour, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg and toss until it begins to thicken. Remove from heat and let cool completely.
-Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
-Lay one piece of dough in a 9 1/2 inch pie pan. Add the apple mixture, mounding slightly. Chill pie for 15 minutes then add other crust on top, slit on the top, brush top with egg yolk and sprinkle with sugar. 
-Bake for 55-60 minutes. Let cool completely before covering.


No comments:

Post a Comment