Saturday, August 20, 2011

Chocolate Chip Pecan Zucchini Bread

So my dad came to me today telling me that we have a million zucchini from our garden and that we have no idea what to do with them... I kinda made a face. If you're like me, you really don't do anything green. It's just not part of my lifestyle. Yes, I'm aware of how unhealthy that is. But all of the sudden an idea came to me- zucchini bread. My step mom has made it for the family before, and I've always wanted to attempt making it! Today was my day. We headed to the store to get a few things and ta-da! I know have four loaves of zucchini bread on my counter (I doubled the batch). We still have a ton of zucchini left over. Does anyone want a loaf?



On to the recipe, shall we?


What you'll need:
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup vegetable oil or olive oil
  • 1 3/4 cups of sugar
  • 2 cups grated zucchini (I learned this today, you don't peel the zucchini. Apparently the skin adds extra protein! Woohoo! Less work for me!)
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (I almost always up that amount by another half teaspoon)
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans (I suppose you could use walnuts instead.... Personally I'm a fan of pecans)
  • 1 cup chocolate chips (If you're not a chocoholic like I am, you may use a cup of dried fruit such as cranberries instead.)
Instructions:
-Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
-Grease and flour two 8x4 inch loaf pans, liberally. 
-In a large bowl, beat eggs with a whisk. From there mix in oil and sugar, then zucchini and vanilla extract.
I apologize. The egg mixture is not very pretty!
-In a separate bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and the pecans and chocolate chips.
 Morgan was helping me out today! Unfortunately I couldn't get a very clear picture of her.

-Stir dry ingredient mixture into the egg mixture. Divide batter into prepared pans.
-Place in the oven and bake loaves for 60 minutes (+ or - 10 minutes.)


My bread turn out really well. It was moist and delicious. I'll definitely be making it again!





Enjoy! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment