Thursday, August 18, 2011

Red Velvet Brownies with White Chocolate Frosting

Okay... I'm apologizing ahead of time... These were gobbled up before I could get a picture of them. They were really that yummy. The next time I make them, I promise I will post pictures!
So. I don't know about you, but I'm a big sucker for red velvet. If anything is red velvet, I'm buying it, sniffing it, eating it. I know, that doesn't sound very appealing, but I love this stuff. I even have a red velvet candle...


So as you can imagine, I was pretty thrilled when I found a recipe for red velvet brownies on one of my favorite food blogs (I'll put the link at the end of the post, her blog is absolutely amazing). I couldn't wait to try them, so I invited my friend Sarah over for a baking day! Here's what we did:

Ingredients (for the brownies)

1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
2 tablespoons red food coloring
2/3 cups chocolate chips (optional, although I say you should go for it.)

  1. Preheat the oven to 350
  2. Butter and flour an 8x8 inch cake pan. Set aside
  3. In a small bowl combine cocoa, red food coloring, and one teaspoon vanilla to make a paste.
  4. In a separate bowl, cream together butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs in one at a time, mixing before each addition, then add the remaining vanilla. While on medium speed, slowly add in cocoa powder mixture. Beat until the batter turns red. (if the batter doesn't turn red, more food coloring may be added.)  Add flour and salt, mixing until combined, then fold in chocolate chips if desired.
  5. Spread batter in pan and cook for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let the brownies cool completely before frosting.



By the time we made these brownies, Sarah and I were feeling a little lazy. So we just used a tub of cream cheese frosting on the brownies. I'm kinda sad that we did this, because I was later told that this white chocolate frosting is to die for! Next time, I promise!

To see the frosting recipe, or just another amazing food blog, click here!




No comments:

Post a Comment