Saturday, August 20, 2011

Special K Bars

I'll be back later to post pictures once the Special K bars have set, but I thought... Why not get the ball rolling and at least begin to blog about it?! So... While I was at the grocery store looking for stuff to make my Chocolate Chip Pecan Zucchini Bread, my dad got a sudden craving for Special K bars while we were in the baking aisle. Since I'm such a foodie, I volunteered in a heartbeat to make them for him. Special K bars are a big hit, and I'm sure many families have their own recipes, but I thought I'd share one with you today anyways.

My camera didn't want to be my friend tonight. That was the best picture I could get while they were still setting. Oh well, I'm sure they'll be delicious!

What you'll need:
  • 1 cup brown sugar, packed
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups corn syrup
  • 1 1/2 cups peanut butter
  • 6 cups Special K crisp cereal (DO NOT USE RICE KRISPIES. THOSE ARE MEANT FOR SCOTCHAROOS)
  • 12 oz package of chocolate chips (we used the peanut butter swirl chocolate chips, but it's really your preference. The Blake family is a peanut butter family...)
  • 1/3 cup peanut butter (since we used the swirl chocolate chips we only used about a tablespoon of peanut butter instead.)

-In a large, microwave safe bowl, combine sugars and corn syrup and stir well. Microwave on high for two minutes- meanwhile rise the spoon off with very hot water.
-Remove bowl from microwave and stir mixture once again. Make sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Return the bowl to the microwave for another 2 minutes on high, or until the concoction starts to bubble. Make sure to rinse the spoon again!
-Take out of microwave and stir in a cup and a half of peanut butter until smooth and combined. Add cereal and stir until evenly coated. Pour cereal into a 9x13 inch greased pan, using the back of a spoon to press evenly.
-Combine chocolate chips and peanut butter in a small microwave safe bowl. Heat on medium power for 2 minutes then 30 second intervals until the chips melt and combine smoothly. Spead over cereal mixture, let cool then cut into bars.

Enjoy :)


No comments:

Post a Comment