Saturday, August 10, 2013

Chocolate Wasted Cake

So, I'm going to be completely honest with my readers (even if there are only a few of you guys. You still matter)... Right now I'm going through and awful breakup and all I have any desire to do is sob, eat chocolate, and get wasted. Unfortunately, I haven't reached the legal drinking age and my appetite is screwed up so chocolate isn't an option, but that wouldn't stop me from abandoning my crying for a little while to create this monstrosity.

Meet the chocolate wasted cake. It is everything that you've dreamed of but have also feared because it has seriously potential to put you in a diabetic coma by just sniffing it. I'm not even kidding. 

I made this cake a couple of weeks ago with my friend, Dylan (pictured above, staring at my camera like a creep). He's been supportive and understood my desperate need to bake and not talk about all the crazy crap that I've been dealing with. I'm really happy he came over, and we had a lot of fun making this. It might have been a bad idea to let him choose this recipe and then send him home with half a cake (he later even made his own version!).

So let's get chocolate wasted, everyone.

What you'll need (for the cake):
  • 3 cups flour
  • 2 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1 cup cocoa powder
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1 cup butter, melted
  • 4 teaspoons corn syrup
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/2 semi-sweet chocolate chips
What you'll need (for the frosting):
  • 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
  • 3 cups powdered sugar
  • 1/4 cup cream, room temperature
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/3 cup chocolate chips
Melted chocolate to drizzle on cake (I had issues with this, because I got distracted...)
  • 2 cups chocolate chips
  • 3/4 cup heavy cream
  • chocolate chips for side of cake and chocolate candies, chopped,  to top the cake with
To prepare the cake:
-Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour two 8 or 9 inch round cake pans and set aside.
- Sift together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl, then set aside.
-In a separate bowl, mix together the milk, corn syrup, butter, and vanilla.
-Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and stir until combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
-Pour even amounts of batter into the prepared pans and bake for 30-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Place on a cooling rack and allow the cake to cool completely before decorating. 
To make the frosting:
- In a bowl, beat the butter until smooth. Beat in the powdered sugar, cream, and vanilla into the mixture until smooth.
- Place chocolate chips in a small bowl over a pan of barely simmering water. Heat and stir occasionally until the chocolate is melted and smooth. 
-Remove chocolate from heat and slowly mix chocolate into frosting mixture. 

Dylan was hard at work to place chocolate chips all around this freaking cake.

To assemble the cake:
-Frost the bottom layer of the cake, place the next layer on top and continue to frost.
-Place chocolate chips on sides of cake, then chocolate candies on top. Drizzle cake with melted chocolate.
-Dig in and try to not lose a foot to diabetes.


1 comment:

  1. That looks amazing. I would like a piece please. I also would like to see a picture of Dylan's version if such a thing exists. Love you!

    ReplyDelete